Are you planning on selling your home soon? If you are, keep in mind that there are ways you can increase its value to fetch a better price. Most homeowners conduct renovations to their houses, but a full renovation is not always a feasible route.
If value is what you’re aiming for, a kitchen renovation might be the most practical option. You have to keep in mind, though, that you need to make significant changes if you want to improve your home’s value.
Here are the changes you can consider getting done.
1. Add a kitchen island
A kitchen island provides plenty of value in any kitchen. You get more counter space, more room for storage, another sink, a place for your appliances, and an eating area where anyone can spend time together. This design element brings notable change to your space, especially if your kitchen is out in an open-living or dining space.
Here are some reminders when you’re installing an island in your kitchen:
- There is no definite size for a kitchen island. You can design it however you want. The size of your kitchen island depends on what purposes it will serve in the kitchen. You can go for the standard 1,200 millimetres as the minimum width for your island if you want it to feature a sink. If not, 600 millimetres will also work.
- Leave at least one metre on all the sides of your island for easy traffic flow. If the kitchen space doesn’t allow it, you can go as low as 850 millimetres, but anything less will feel too cramped.
- If you need to add storage, consider adding open shelves to enhance the island’s display function. You can always add more drawers if you want. Try to get customised drawers from a cabinet maker to save up on space and accommodate all the cutlery and plates you have.
2. Widen your current storage
Storage is vital in any home, especially in the kitchen. If you’re having a full-kitchen renovation, consider redesigning your storage and maximising the place’s storage potential by making it a floor to ceiling design. The wider the storage space, the better.
Just remember that if you opt for open shelving, it will require regular cleaning and styling. It is best to have open shelving only in areas within your reach. For the high spots, make sure that they are closed cupboards and only fill it with items that you would only occasionally use.
3. Level up your benchtop
The benchtop is one of the first things potential home buyers will see when they enter your kitchen. Make sure that your benchtop looks impressive. If you’re on a budget, you can use hard-wearing laminate, but consider getting a hardy and heat-resistant material.
You have various options that can mimic deluxe materials like marble and timbre. If you have the budget to splurge, you can invest in lush, durable materials like granite or quartz. Whatever material you choose, make sure that it is heat and water- and stain-resistant and easy to clean.
4. Update to a smart lighting system
Besides illuminating your kitchen and setting its overall mood, your lighting should also be energy-efficient. Moreover, it should make working in the kitchen easier and more enjoyable.
Some things to keep in mind when installing new lights:
- Make sure to adequately illuminate parts of the kitchen where you’ll wash, chop, cook, and more.
- Place the lights in front of you, not above or behind, to avoid casting shadows to the workspace.
- If you want to have more control in setting your room’s light and mood levels, consider installing downlights and pendant lights on separate circuits.
5. Purchase quality appliances
Several appliances now have functionalities that help speed up kitchen work. Moreover, they look better and give an instant boost to your kitchen’s aesthetics. If you want a consistent, coordinated look in your kitchen, try to buy appliances from the same brand or range.
For a high return on investment, a kitchen renovation is always an excellent and sure idea. The kitchen is one of the most used areas in the house, and improving its looks and functionality will turn your home into a more valuable investment for future buyers. If you don’t know where to start, these five kitchen elements are a worthwhile investment to consider.
If you need professional kitchen renovation in Mandurah and are looking for a kitchen designer that also offers quality workmanship and renovations, call us at Azztek Kitchens. We offer various services from design, appliances, accessories, as well as custom and locally-made kitchen cabinets.